In celebration of National Safety Month, KidsEmbrace, whose motto is “Making Safety Fun” is passing along some car seat safety basics! So that you can feel confident that your children are being (1) properly buckled in their forward facing car seat, (2) Learn the importance of your car seat manual, and (3) how to install your car seat properly.
You can also see our demo of all these safety techniques outlined below in our video below:
How to Buckle Your Child in A Forward Facing Car Seat
· The harness should be at or above the shoulder. The mantra is at or just below when rear facing. Might be worth including just to reinforce the importance of paying attention to detail as you transition from seat to seat
· The chest clip should be at armpit level
· Harness should be snug
How to Install Your Car Seat:
· Weave the latch or vehicle seat belt through the belt path.
· Make sure your straps on both sides are straight.
· Engage the first latch.
· Place the tether over the seat of the car.
· Engage the second latch.
· Put weight into the middle of the seat with either your hand or if you need more leverage utilize your knee to the seat and pull tight.
· Clip the tether to the back of the seat and pull tightly.
· Move car seat to make sure it doesn’t move more than ½ an inch from side to side.
Other Car Seat Safety Basics:
· Always read your car seat manual when getting a new car seat.
· Send in your registration card whenever you get a new car seat.
· Children should be kept rear facing until they are at least 2 years old in CA and several other states but KidsEmbrace strongly recommends it for all children in every State. (see below for more reference)
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that all infants ride rear-facing starting with their first ride home from the hospital. All infants and toddlers should ride in a rear-facing seat until they are at least 2 years of age or, preferably, until they reach the highest weight or height allowed by their car safety seat manufacturer. When infants outgrow their rear-facing–only seat, a convertible seat installed rear facing is needed.
If you need more assistance installing your car seat, you can always email us at info@KidsEmbrace.com or visit SafeKids.org.